Pasta, pasta, PASTA. I think everyone will agree that pasta acts as one of the most delicious meals for vegans and non-vegans alike. There are a lot of vegan spaghetti bolognese recipes out there, however – I find that they all contain whole lentils. While I am a fan of lentils in curry’s and dhal’s, I have never liked them whole when served with various pasta’s.
That is why I have come up with this recipe! The smooth texture of blended lentils in this bolognese still provides texture, but the lentil’s remain disguised within a delicious flavourful sauce. Blending the mixture also evenly distributes the flavours of the bolognese. If you would prefer a thicker mixture, you could always add more rinsed lentils.
I always use wholewheat pasta’s, but you could also use bean-based pasta’s here, and alternative shapes too. Fusilli in particular works great here aswell. Green and yellow courgette’s work just as well in this recipe, as its main function is to increase the volume of the mixture.
Chopped tomatoes are essential in this recipe! Tomato passata makes the mixture too paste-like. I often make double batches of this recipe and give it to my boyfriend for his lunches throughout the week. It lasts very well in the fridge, and also is perfectly suitable for freezing.
If you have a large amount of leftovers, why not add some flour to the mixture and make bolognese burgers out of it? the possibilities are endless. This is one of my favourite plant-based meals. I hope that you will anjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g tin of green lentils
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 courgette
- A mixture of dried herbs
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 150g wholewheat spaghetti
- Baby tomatoes to serve
- Peel and roughly chop the red onion and garlic.
- Roughly chop the bell pepper and courgette.
- Rinse the lentils well in a colander and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, red pepper and courgette.
- Fry for about 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly ensuring that the veg does not stick to the pan.
- Once the veg is tender, remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large food processor – add the lentils and about 3/4 of the tin of chopped tomatoes, along with the tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Add the ingredients from the pan to the processor.
- Add a selection of your favourite dried herbs. I usually use 1 teaspoon of dried basil, 1 teaspoon of dried coriander and 1 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs.
- Add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Add a handful of fresh coriander.
- PULSE the mixture until it is mixed, but not completely smooth. Ensure that the mixture still has a nice texture.
- Cook the spaghetti as per package instructions.
- When the spaghetti is almost finished cooking – place the bolognese mixture back onto the pan to cook through.
- Rinse the spaghetti with boiling water and serve.
- Cover the pasta with the bolognese mixture as per images shown.
- Cut baby tomatoes and place them on to the mixture.
- Serve with fresh coriander and some freshly ground black pepper.